al diavolo!


We specialize in doing custom plaster and textured wall finishes. The product we are going for is a high level of aesthetic that fits into the existing spaces and decor creating a pleasing effect .
Now we use Venetian plaster, in fact many different ones. We also use other plasters to create various effects.
Venetian plaster is one of these buzz words that's been tossed around for the past many years. People like fast food knowledge on just about everything, and Venetian plaster is the same way. Someone sees a plaster finish, someone says it's Venetian and they figure they now know all about it, what it is, looks like, etc. Which would be about the same as asking what shoes are, seeing a pair of loafers and saying " OK , now I know all there is to know about shoes".
We've run across some artisans who do Venetian plaster work- nice work- and try to make the subject matter some mystical occult. Then they go all prima donna with people and clients, pushing price and exclusivity.
This happened recently when I had a client call. She had a home which had work done previously by an artisan. Now the guy is supposed to do great work, pushes the fact that he's been in magazines; uses traditional lime-based material etc. I can respect an artist who knows and applies his craft, but quite frankly when I went to her home and saw the work he'd done previously I had anticipated I would be bowled over. I wasn't- it was nice enough as a regular venetian job but no great shakes. Also quite honestly I've seen some synthetic plasters done by people who worked a lot with both, and you would be hard put to tell the difference. (I'm not recommending not using lime based - although the one redeeming quality of synthetics is lack of cracking.)
Anyway, the bottom line is that while artisans can create their own finishes and recipes, which are proprietary, the subject of plasters, Venetian and otherwise, information on choices and options should be made known to potential clients, so they can make informed choices, and not be put at effect of someone running the "This is a very specialized thing, which I know all about and you don't, so you should just do what I tell you". Don't know about you, but I've had that run on me by auto mechanics, doctors, designers and other individuals with a self importance button. My viewpoint is that if I'm paying you money for a service I should be more important than you in terms of what you are doing, including making me informed.
So the moral of the story; Don't do drugs, work hard and save your money, never accept candy from strangers. And only work with people who are competent and want you informed on what they are going to offer you service wise. Otherwise "al diavolo!" (to hell with it in Italian)
Ciao


Comments