What if the Venetian Plaster is already there


















I fly a lot for my other job and I fly Jet Blue a lot. So even though we don't have television hooked up at home, I get to watch HGTV. HGTV has changed a lot. In fact, anymore it all seems to be about buying and selling homes rather than decorating or building them.

On that fourth hour of the flight, when I am down to watching House Hunters or versions thereof, and I see the young couple walk into the -- (living, dining bed) room and enumerate the aspects of the home they like, I keep hearing them say, "well I like the color" meaning the walls. I find it hard to think with that being a deciding factor in buying a home. I mean, how hard is it to paint?
But I have thought about what someone who buys a home with a lot of venetian plaster or other decorative finishes might do. It might be a feature of the home they want, but it's probably a 50-50 chance that they start all over with decorating. Maybe I just don't like the idea of Kevin's work being painted over or redone, though I am sure that can and probably already has happened. Still, I can imagine a homeowner 100 years from now stripping down layers of paint to get to the .... original venetian plaster!
This home had a decorative plaster finish when they moved in. Again from Traditional Home, where they source everything (LOVE that) She decorated around it beautifully. Even though the area was Southwest, and many Southwest elements remain in the design, her antiques and furniture give it a very nice twist. -- the molto bene wife


Design:Patti Burdick, allied member ASID, Wiseman & Gale Interiors, 4015 Marshall Way, Scottsdale, AZ 85251; 480/945-8447.
Photographs by Michael Venera





Comments